Why I Pray the Way I Do

I was just thinking about prayer and many might think I spend a minute time praying for myself and those around me...in comparison to what I spend most of my time praying for, that is probably accurate. I stand guilty as charged.

I personally feel as if I and those around me are so blessed that my prayers could be put to better use, elsewhere. I spend the majority of my time praying for people I don't know--have never seen, and probably never will, at least in this life. However, I look forward to hearing the stories of the miracles and help that God provided to them, when we all see Jesus, as a result of my prayers and the prayers of countless others. It excites me to know that one day I will get to hear how miraculously food was provided in a village that previously had none, and they heard the Word of God, and believed as a result of the miracle which gave them the faith to recognize that He, alone Is God. I look forward to the stories of Boko Haram, the Taliban, ISIS, and Al Qaeda falling into utter confusion because of the prayers of a few, and having their efforts against Christians thwarted.
 And, even more stories from Christians in underground churches in China, about secret police who came to Christ, or Indian Christians living in a hostile environment finding a reprieve from the constant oppression.
I can't wait.

I think these people need my prayers a lot more than the people I see on a daily basis, who have the ability to worship freely, and have food, clothing and shelter. I don't know of anyone in prison because of the Name of Jesus. In fact, most, if not all of us, have more than enough.

I do think it's important to pray for those in leadership--the Bible tells us to. We need them to make wise decisions, and to execute justice without partiality, so they need our prayers.

Sometimes, things we are praying for God to handle, we forget that are His Hands and Feet in the world. While we are praying for our brother or sister nearby to be blessed with enough to feed and clothe their family, when we have more than enough, we're failing to see that we are the answer to the prayer. God has already supplied the need, we have to be willing to get involved in His plan.

There are some emotional and spiritual struggles that all of us have in our lives that I pray for, but I have to admit, I don't spend much time focused on "us", even for that, because we don't have nearly as much to contend with as 2/3 of the world's population.
The oppressed of the world
win my attention and prayers, hands down--they have much bigger battles to fight, daily, and greater decisions to make. How many times have you had to choose between your child and Jesus???





"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls." [1 Peter 1:3-9, NIV]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Does My Hate Have to Match Your Hate?

Who's a Failure???

Oh, that Fire, that Tongue, that Tongue...