Now, I Get It!

"But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled; My steps had nearly slipped.
For I was envious of the boastful, When I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
For there are no pangs in their death, But their strength is firm.
They are not in trouble as other men, Nor are they plagued like other men.
Therefore pride serves as their necklace; Violence covers them like a garment.
Their eyes bulge with abundance; They have more than heart could wish." [Psalm 73:2-7, NKJV]

Light bulb moment!!! Now, I get it. I just had one of those.

Like most people, it was hard to understand how people who seemingly "had it all" could take their own lives, or waste it on drug abuse or reckless living. It just never made sense, to me. It seems reasonable that those who are the most "blessed" should be the most happy, and diligent in preserving their lives so they can continue to enjoy the wonder of it all as long as possible, right? What makes common sense, doesn't always--or even usually, translate to human beings.

I didn't see it until I spent a week living in the lap of luxury. It was great, and enjoyable. Now, I admit--I have a very different mindset than many people who enjoy that lifestyle regularly--in fact, it is a little difficult for me to enjoy it. It's hard for me to walk away and leave everything for someone to pick up after me--it is really a struggle, I mean really. It's also very difficult for me to watch good people being treated as if they are second or third class citizens, simply because they have less and have to work hard to earn a living. Stuck up, condescending people bring out the worst in me--that's probably the behavior I find hardest to forgive--snobbish, pretentious behavior. I have been known to mistreat snobs--not so long ago, I must admit. (And I was dead wrong for it, and I have to deal with that!) However, I see why they might be so nasty and miserable--because, a life of nothing but luxury is a purposeless life.

I know, everybody has dreamed of becoming rich and suddenly never having to worry about anything and having everything they want--whenever they want it. Realistically, though, I don't believe it's really all it's cracked up to be. The grass is not always as green as it appears. Statistically, the happiest people are NOT the richest people. Now, was I happy that week--you bet I was, but honestly, my happiness didn't result from the 5-star amenities, now that I look back on the week. My happiness resulted from the time spent with family and making new friends, many of whom were staff at the resort where I stayed; I actually miss talking to Eduardo, Jose' and Miguel--they became friends, and made my birthday something I will never forget; not simply as resort staff. The staff who had the most menial jobs were not used to being treated with respect and spoken to by guests--that was evident. As, the week wore on, they began to loosen up and smile broadly, and greet me with an "Hola!" not looking down--but as an equal. The truth is, I walked around that 5 star resort with no money in my pockets for half of that week--I was being taken care of since it was my birthday, but it wasn't my plan not to have any money, but it worked out that way. Perhaps, it was part of a plan (His plan, not mine!), because I needed to see some things, and learn how to be taken care of--I'm not very good at it! But, in the midst, lessons were learned.

I came to the light bulb moment when I determined the perfect length for such a vacation. It is in my opinion seven days. Any longer, and the person whose life has purpose and meaning will become restless. You will actually be ready to leave Paradise behind, and head back to reality. It's true--too much of a good thing is not good. One day more, and I would have been bored. It's like I get it, now; it's exactly why people become reckless, and adventure seeker's end up doing deadly things that often cost lives. I see why sexual lasciviousness is taken to heights "normal" people can't imagine, and why the teenagers of the very rich often die so young, often at their own hands. Not having purpose will drive anyone to the brink. Of course, there are exceptions--those who are philanthropic, and have found purpose. They generally, lead very different lifestyles, and are happy, too.

I saw a woman behave horribly and mistreat a young woman simply because she had to wait longer than usual in the deli. It's sad when you are so narcissistic that when the world stops revolving around you for a millisecond, you have a melt-down. Seriously. When we don't have purpose, we lose the ability to see beyond ourselves, to the needs and feelings of others--that's why it's possible to be filthy rich and dismiss hunger and poverty, right under your upraised, cosmetically-adjusted nose.

Don't envy things or the people who have them. Learn to "be content with such things as ye have..." [Hebrews 13:5,KJV]. Having a life of substance (spiritually and emotionally) and purpose, is far more valuable than material things that pass away. 

No matter how many pairs of Manolo's, Gucci's, or Ferragamo's you have--you still only have two feet, and can only where one pair at a time, just like everyone else. Contentment is a great thing. Purpose is better--knowing your purpose; supreme. 

Love conquers. LCC  

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Does My Hate Have to Match Your Hate?

Oh, that Fire, that Tongue, that Tongue...

Who's a Failure???