WHY THORNS, GOD???

Some years ago, in the midst of what then, was the deepest and hardest trial of my life, I prayed and sought God repeatedly to remove a "thorn". The response I received, was the one Paul got, too. God told me, that His grace was sufficient for me. That answer never changed, either. I would like to say that, like Paul, I was accepting and willing to suffer, but I wasn't. Instead, I became angry and bitter, and complained to God and others, that it was unfair. And, despite my answer from God--I kept demanding that He remove the thorn--misusing Scriptures about what I thought to be promises and guarantee's that I, as a child of God, would not have to suffer.
Eventually, I got tired, and I decided to listen to Him, through the Word, and stopped "kicking against the pricks". I began to study and to read the Word of God, without incorporating my personal agenda. When I did, my attitude began to change, and I found peace, in spite of the thorn.
Thorns can make us better--building spiritual character in us, or if we aren't truly submitted to the will of God, they can destroy. The thing is, we get to choose. We decide how we react to the thorns in our lives. Thorns happen--we don't all have the same thorns. I am so thankful that God didn't reveal to us, in the Word, what Paul's thorn was. Many have discussed and debated this--for centuries. Many insist that it was physical, some ailment from headaches, or epilepsy, to blindness or emotional disturbances. Others suppose that it was completely spiritual--attacks from those in the church, who chose to oppose truth, such as Hymenaeus or imprisonments suffered, etc. The greatest scholars, though, admit we just don't know what Paul's thorn was. We can all agree that he had one.
I have thought that God gifted us with the story of Paul's thorn, possibly because identifying with the suffering of Christ is so difficult to ascertain. I mean, Christ suffered--without knowing sin. Christ isn't only 100% human, but He is also 100% divine. Paul on the other hand, is like us, in so many ways. Paul was "sinful flesh", too. In fact, Paul considered himself to be chief among sinners, having persecuted the church, prior to his conversion (Philippians 3). It was Paul who watched over the coats of those who stoned Stephen, a righteous servant of God (Acts 7:58). Maybe, that is why He gave us Paul's testimony. Paul was anything but righteous, before he came to know Jesus--self-righteous, maybe, but not truly righteous, in his embrace of the letter of the Law. Paul was a Pharisee--the super, pseudo-righteous, holy sect of the Jews, that oppressed the people of God (Matthew 23:23-39).
I was quite the Pharisee, too, before my thorn. Thorns, though, have a way of changing your outlook. They cause us to think outside of the box, that our pharasaical ways and ideas have placed God in. Thorns piercing us, make us see others with compassion, not so much disdain; because we recognize it is just His grace, that keeps us, in spite of the thorn. Thorns make you pray--and keep you in touch with the Savior--thorns are not easy. Thorns serve a purpose in our lives, though.
Got a thorn? If you don't, give it time! Ask Job about being "considered"--he knew well about thorns, in spite of being "perfect". God allows thorns. Thorns are painful, but they have a distinct and purposeful way of molding us into honorable vessels. What thing, keeps you going back to God over and over to have it eradicated from your life? It could be spiritual, emotional or physical--it's probably your thorn.
As theories continue to abound about what Paul's thorn was--(probably until Jesus comes!), we should accept the wisdom of God in not revealing the manifestation of Paul's thorn. Know this about thorns: they are the issues in our lives that keep us seeking relief from them, and hearing God say, "not now" or even "no" but, "My grace is sufficient...". Like Paul's quest for relief that went up before God in three's, so Holy is our God--not just holy; but Holy, Holy, Holy!!! His holiness makes Him sovereign, but will He be sovereign, in our lives? We can answer for ourselves, only; individually--is He sovereign, no matter what befalls us? Is it okay and will we be grateful for "sufficient grace" when the thorns accompany the roses, in our lives--or will we complain and murmur?
It is very simplistic to say that we don't have to live with our "thorns", or ills, problems, issues, but the point is that God is able to keep us, in everything! He will use the thorns to enrich us with all manner of spiritual blessings. It won't happen though, until we abandon our quest for perfection in this sinful world--that doesn't exist here. We won't be free of problems, in this life--our problems are different from person to person, but let them cause us all, to rely on God.
Thank God, even in the thorny thicket places of our lives. He is there, too--full of grace for the journey!
"In everything, give thanks!" What "thing"? The thorns.
"Should I desire to boast, I shall not be a witless braggart, for I shall be speaking the truth. But I abstain [from it] so that no one may form a higher estimate of me than [is justified by] what he sees in me or hears from me. And to keep me from being puffed up and too much elated by the exceeding greatness (preeminence) of these revelations, there was given me a thorn (a splinter) in the flesh, a messenger of Satan, to rack and buffet and harass me, to keep me from being excessively exalted. [Job. 2:6.] Three times I called upon the Lord and besought [Him] about this and begged that it might depart from me; But He said to me, My grace (My favor and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for you [sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble manfully]; for My strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and completed) and show themselves most effective in [your] weakness. Therefore, I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ (the Messiah) may rest (yes, may pitch a tent over and dwell) upon me! So for the sake of Christ, I am well pleased and take pleasure in infirmities, insults, hardships, persecutions, perplexities and distresses; for when I am weak [in human strength], then am I [truly] strong (able, powerful in divine strength)." (2 Corinthians 12:6-10, The Amplified Bible)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Does My Hate Have to Match Your Hate?

Who's a Failure???

Oh, that Fire, that Tongue, that Tongue...