NAME CALLING

It may seem as if this blog is devoted to how we relate to one another, as Christians। I stand accused. The reason for this, is that I believe it ranks so high on the list that if we do not take corrective steps, many of "our greatest" will suffer. I am thinking in particular, today about the ways we use titles in our churches. I understand and agree with the need for some form of protocol. I see the proper use of some titles--those that are biblically-inspired. However, do we misuse them?I am of the belief, that titles, in our churches are out of control. What is the reason?

I am going to suggest that it has something to do with the history of racism in America. I hate to focus on churches being "black" or "white", but this particular issue is a much bigger problem in the "black church". Here is my historical take on the issue. Black people in America, we know have had little or no power, until very recently. The only legitimate place (in particular, a man) could feel power or prestige was in the pulpit. An uneducated black man--even if he could not read, but who heard and memorized Scripture, could pastor a congregation and experience a feeling of acceptance, and some semblance of power. There were other places that a black man might feel prestige, perhaps--those who were educated, had it in among their peers, but it was all very limited. Those who were willing to live outside of the law, sometimes found a "pseudo-power" using women, and engaging in other illegal activities. In the church, though, the preacher could be very comfortable. Even many white people gave him a bit of respect--as long as he did not overstep his bounds. They were only too happy to have a black church, because that kept the races separate--an important goal. The black preacher became the favored guest at Sunday dinner--and nothing was spared for him. What once was the little country preacher--"Passa' Brown or Ela' Blue is now Apostle Brown and Archbishop Blue--and don't you forget it, or slip up and call him brother!

What has happened to us? Jesus prayed, "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; that they may all be one; as Thou, Father, art in Me, and I in Thee, that they also may be one in Us: that the world may believe that Thou has sent Me." Jesus had a purpose for this prayer--He wants and needs for us to be one so the world will recognize Him! It isn't about us! This is a funny (to me) paradox--we call our Sovereign Lord, Jesus--by His first Name. We relate to God as our "Abba, Father" which interprets, roughly as "Daddy, Papa", but the men of God need these very important titles to operate in ministry--another paradox, what is ministry? SERVICE! I am so opposed to titles, personally (for me) that I have avoided ministry--in disobedience, I must confess, for years (not necessarily preaching, but any involvement). It was such a turnoff. I view titles as another means of division among God's people, because they have been used that way.

Many people grow up seeking ministry for a career--not because they desire to serve God's people but for "the uppermost seats in the synagogues, and greetings in the markets." This is a far cry from the humble commission that Jesus gave to His disciples, who suffered and labored for the cause of Christ. I am not suggesting that the "laborer is not worthy of his hire" or that we should not "esteem very highly in love" those that we know labor among us. The Word of God commands us to do so! I am suggesting that we do nothing that spreads division in the Body of Christ, though. There are some, who will "correct" you if you "mistakenly" call them "brother" or "sister" once they have been "elevated" to a position of ministry. That is shocking to me--aren't we ALL brothers in Christ--and ALL able ministers of the reconciliation? What exactly is the purpose for titles in the Church--what was the original intent? The purpose in the early Church was to distinguish duties: the bishop was the overseer, ministers and deacons were attendants (as in waiters), pastors--shepherds, and an apostle was an ambassador of Christ with miraculous powers--not pomp and circumstance! This is not meant to offend, but to affect change--only to those who are misusing titles. As is often quoted, in our circles, "I'm not talking bout' you, lessin' it's you!"

You may call me, Lisa. Thanks! (My preference)

"Now I beseech you, brethren, by the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment." 1 Corinthians 1:10

Comments

  1. This is a very intresting article you have written. I too have a problem with extended titles that I feel are unnecessary. I personally have my congregation call me Pastor Neal for the reason that scripture says that God is the most reverend. I do use the title of Rev. due to legalities of the denomination which is the African Methodist Episcopal Church, but I prefer to be called Pastor or Elder Neal. I feel this is acceptable because these are listed in scripture as being titles for leaders of the flock. I am with you with any name that seems to exalt one over another.

    I want to address one more thing in your essay. The Title of Deacon. I believe the word deacon means "servant". Even though the first ones were chosen to take care of the widows, they were full of the Holy Spirit and well learned. Deacons such as Timothy actually started and operated existing churches. It is part of our progression in the AMEC. Deacons in the AMEC can do everything but concencrate the Holy Communion. That is done by an Elder of the Church. The word translated "tables" can refer to tables used in monetary matters as well as those used for serving meals. The Hellenist were complaining that the widows were not receiving equal treatment in all matters. Go to 1 Timothy 5:1-16. Pastor Kevin L. Neal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your response. I did, however verify the translation of "deacon" before I wrote the blog. The Greek word used in 1 Timothy 3:8 is "diakonos", and it means (to run on errands); an attendant, i.e. a waiter (at table or other menial duties). I don't believe that excludes the deacon as a "servant"--it is apart of the definition, as well as "minister". My point is that we have come far from the original intent of the Scriptures for ALL of the offices.

    The other issue you brought up was the title "reverend", which I honestly meant to address, but went in another direction. The Scripture I had in mind, at the time, was Psalm 111:9, which says: "He sent redemption unto His people: He hath commanded His covenant forever: holy and REVEREND is His Name". My thought on this is that NO man should share that title with God, because no man has done any of the awesome things that God has done as outlined in this verse of Scripture. However, I recognize the use of it by (mainly) secular people/organizations when referring to clergy, and I don't think that one should take issue with them over it--there are far more important things....Abundant Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Does My Hate Have to Match Your Hate?

Oh, that Fire, that Tongue, that Tongue...

Who's a Failure???